GAY PRIDE: Camp it up or Play it Straight? Enjoy or Ignore?
Ok, so there’s been much debate (read performance artist Scottee’s summary here), and it is now officially known as the PRIDE FIASCO.
However, we don’t give two hoots! We’ve found some great events for this weekend including Gay Comedy Extravaganza at Hackney Empire, Spiceworld, Blue Elephant Theatre, Gay Bingo Boat Party and more!
Yes, pink wigs á gogo, I wanna camp it up!
1. Ha Ha Hackney: GAY EXTRAVAGANZA | Sunday 8th July | 7.30pm | Hackney Empire, Hackney Central | Buy tickets from £10 here
A stellar comedy line up including Stephen K Amos, Radio 4 favourite Sandi Toksvig, Russella, tributes to the kings of CAMP: Liberace, Kenneth Williams & Danny la Rue & so much more. DON’T MISS!
2. Spiceworld at Deptford Film Club | Friday 6th July | 7.30pm | Deptford Lounge | Buy tickets for just £5 here
SPICE UP YOUR LIFE and see VICTORIA BECKHAM at her prime in full on Oscar-worthy bus mayhem. Forget Viva Forever the Musical and remember the good times!
3. The Fantastical Adventures of (Not) Being With You | Until Saturday 7th July | Blue Elephant Theatre, Camberwell | £12.50/£10
Two men share their timeless love story via moments alternately charming, childish and churlish. Join A & B in a funny, quirky piece of physical theatre full of fantastical adventures.
4. Gay Bingo Boat Party: CARRY ON CRUISING | Sunday 8th July | Temple Pier, London | £15 tickets here
Trannies including queen tranny Jonny Woo, Ma Butcher & Jon Sizzle, CARRY ON CAPERS & boating on the RIVER, what more could you want?
5. Trafalgar Square Stage at World Pride London | Saturday all day | Trafalgar Square, London | FREE
Our highlights are Peter Tatchell at 15.55, The Supreme Fabulettes 16.40 & Boy George at 16.50.
No I don’t want to participate in this PRIDE fiasco
1. Going for Gold aka Doggy Olympics | Saturday 7th July | VENUE CHANGE TO BETHNAL GREEN WORKING MEN’S CLUB, BETHNAL GREEN | FREE
Crafty stage, the Lady & the Tramp stage, doggy fashion shows and much more make this the canine Olympiad.
2. The Chap Olympiad | Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th July | Bedford Square Gardens | Tickets from £20
Moustache wrestle with the best of them. And don’t forget to be polite!
3. Other Options
Including writing a song, getting naked or going to church. Use your imagination.
I am Joint Editor at To Do List. I like free, cheap & offbeat London, especially: cabaret, art, theatre, pop-ups, eating out, quirky films, museums, day trips, social enterprise & much more.