To Do List Daily: Barbican Shakespeare Weekender – Sat 5 & Sun 6 March
Get your Bard on at the Barbican Shakespeare Weekender – packed with (mostly free) events for (mostly) all the family. Shakespeare has never been so accessible – or cheap!
Head along to the Barbican this weekend for a bard-tacular celebration of all things weird and Shakespeare. The Barbican Shakespeare Weekender promises to make accessible the work of the world’s most famous playwright.
Highlights look set to include:
- Much Ado About Bingo – Boogaloo Stu (main picture) is ’70s telly host and crimplene-clad showbiz legend Derek Daniels, hosting a “sensationally silly Shakespearean round of retro musical bingo”
- Shakespeare Son et Lumière – a spectacular light and sound production in celebration of the City’s connection to Shakespeare on the 400th anniversary of his death
- What’s in a name? Alliance badge making – a chance to choose a family crest (are you a Montague or a Capulet?) and make your own badge featuring LED lights
- The Dresser – a one-on-one encounter with performer and writer Christopher Green, exploring the final 10 minutes before the actor goes on stage
- Shakespeare à la Carte (£10 including 2 sliders, fries and a soft drink) – dine from a menu of Shakespeare’s greatest hits in this unique theatre and dining experience
- Complete Works: Table Top Shakespeare (£3) – the Complete Works of Shakespeare get the Forced Entertainment treatment, with each of Shakespeare’s 36 plays condensed (who’s got the time?) and presented on a table top using a cast of salt and pepper pots, spoons, candles, cheese graters, light bulbs and the like…
They Say: Drop in or spend the day with us, dipping in to a multitude of free events for all the family from Shakespearean bingo to Shakespeare-inspired hairdos. We’re throwing open our doors to celebrate the playwright’s legacy – come, join our good company.